Are you a tailgater? Do you follow too closely in traffic, and are always in a hurry to get somewhere? If you are a high profile individual, celebrity, or international traveler, these habits could be your undoing. One of the most high-profile kidnappings in history was that of Aldo Maro a former Italian President, and opposition leader. There was clearly enough reason for people to have an issue with him, but I think what is more important is the habit his driver had that led to a successful kidnapping. The Red Brigade surveilled Aldo Moro for well over a month, observing travel patterns and day to day life. The Red Brigade identified two critical keys to a successful abduction.
- Aldo Maro passed through the same choke point every day
- Aldo Maro’s driver was a habitual tailgater
Those two critical points led to one of the most classic ambushes and kidnappings in history. The plan was a simple, linear ambush, set up at the choke point with several men dressed in Air Italia uniforms, and two vehicles used to trap Aldo Maro’s vehicles. Aldo Maro’s vehicle was identified by the surveillance team who notified the lead car to prepare to pull out in front of Moro’s vehicle. The second vehicle pulled in behind Moro and the three vehicles proceeded together to the kill zone. Once in the kill zone, the lead vehicle slammed on their breaks causing Moro’s vehicle to ram into the first car. The trail vehicle rammed Moro’s vehicle, sandwiching the vehicle between them. The assault team quickly moved from their positions and killed Moro’s body guards, and the kidnapping team grabbed Moro, taking him to the lead vehicle. In less than a minute, the ambush was over and Moro was gone.
The bottom line is that if you are being targeted, your habits or lack of awareness will be used against you. How you drive matters, as do the routes you take. Here are some of our recommendations:
- Don’t be a tailgater, follow the one car length for every ten miles per hour rule.
- When you are at a stop light or in stop and go traffic, always be able to see the bottom of the tires of the car in front of you.
- Always have a way out identified, even if it is the road median or the side walk. If you end up in an ambush, you need to “drive it like you stole it” and get off the X.
- If you pass through a choke point every day, it might be wise to find some different routes.
- Knowing your own baseline is critical. You should always be looking at your own vulnerabilities and improving your situation daily.
- The bad guys had surveillance on Aldo Maro for an extended period of time, it would have been incredibly helpful for the good guys to know their baseline and pick up on the bad guy surveillance.
We at Captive Audience PTRT believe that it is the simple things you do that can make you a target. We also believe that it is the simple things you do that will make you a hard target. Today is a great day to pick up a copy of our book 365 Days of Survival and learn how to prepare your mind.